Monday, March 21, 2011

Competition

Around this time of year, there is a lot of excitement about the Crossfit Games.

As I have said before, I am not a fan of The Games…and that’s not an easy attitude to maintain. You watch the clips on YouTube, and see friends training like mad at the box, and it’s hard to resist the urge to get a little amped up.


But flashy videos aside, I am becoming increasingly convinced that I will always be more of a “recreational Crossfitter” (rather than a competitor). And even though I may not be as determined and ambitious as some (many?) of the athletes that I train with, I feel equally dedicated to pursuing Crossfit in the long term.

One of the coaches that I respect a lot at my box recently offered two of his own observations about The Games, competition and Crossfit in general:

1) Despite the agony of some of the training that we do, it's enjoyable. It's a pleasurable activity

2) The main feature of this game that we play is competition.

I totally agree with observation #1. The 800-meter, Rx’ed, weighted, hand-ripped, AMRAP’ed, sweaty, for-time 60 minutes that I spend at the box is usually and simultaneously the best and worst hour of my day.

And I can see how the 2nd assertion would likely resonate with a lot of Crossfit athletes.

But the definition of competition for #2 relies upon a group dynamic…and how the combined strength and dedication of the group empowers success for both the individual and the group as a whole…

I consider myself a “team player”. I enjoy my friends at the 7PM class and our group dynamic – nothing makes my day like when a buddy conquers his/her first muscle up or double under. And they have certainly all been very supportive of me as I am often The Last person to finish the WOD –they never let me quit (unless I maneuver a way to sneak out the back door).

The group dynamic is a part of what I enjoy about Crossfit.

However, and this may sound selfish, when I approach a WOD, I am not focused on achieving a PR, or beating anyone else’s time or what may be achieved individually or as a group during the WOD. Really, my one and only goal is to get through the WOD without injury and with minimal embarrassment (as in anything that might involve paramedics or a 9-1-1 call).

So, if Crossfit is SO difficult and I am not competitive about it (in terms of what I expect of myself or the athletes that I train with), why do I do it? Why is Crossfit generally the favorite part of my day? Why have I been going back to this box filled with over-achieving super athletes 4-5x per week for almost two years?

In reference to Crossfit and the question “why do we do it?”, that same coach at my box offered what I think is another enlightened observation...it's that moment when you totally lose yourself during a WOD; when you are totally unaware of the world around you. During a WOD I am not thinking about my job, my mortgage or the lawn that I need to mow before the neighborhood association starts riding my ass. It’s a wild, reckless ride that takes you to a totally different place that’s hard to find at any other time during my daily routine. And you don’t have to be a super athlete to get there (thankfully)…Crossfit makes it happen, for everyone.

That is why I do it…

If everyone did Crossfit and could experience that moment several times per week, I am certain that the mental health industry would go bust…there would be no need for “anger management sessions” and “interventions” – it’s a daily dose of mental, physical and emotional therapy.

OK. Next question: Why do I keep going back?

I was never an athlete…mainly because I am not very athletic. But I enjoy being active and fit. Crossit offers a totally non-judgmental environment for even the severely uncoordinated to search for and maybe even find their “inner athlete”.

You can’t run fast? Run as fast as you can. You can’t lift that weight? Scale it down. It’s the only organized-athletic environment that I have been a part of that encourages you to try over anything else.

Unfortunately, I feel that The Games somewhat alters these dynamics that I enjoy so much about Crossfit. Competition requires an awareness of self. It measures and compares an individual’s capacities and limitations. You are ranked, publicly in preparation for and during The Games, and the pressure’s ON.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing, and I know that a lot of people feel a rush from that kind of high-level competition –it’s what gives them that extra push. But I have seen very smart competitors and gifted athletes rip themselves up in preparation for The Games. I have seen athletes that I consider friends get angry and frustrated…and even a little mean. I have seen amazing athletes become discouraged because they failed to meet certain expectations that were arbitrarily set by The Games. For them, it may be worth it.

For me, The Games adds to the already high level of intensity that is intrinsic to Crossfit…and that can be a little overwhelming. Even for a non-competing observer.

But The Games and its qualifying events occupy a very small part of my Crossfit world. The remainder of which is very cool.

It’s been two years and I still can’t do a double under, and a muscle up seems equally impossible. Oh yeah, and my jerk form is crap. Even if these basic Crossfit movements elude me forever, I am OK with that. I am more than satisfied with my status as a “recreational Crossfitter”. If I ever do get an MU or a DU….that would be cool too, and I plan on continuing to try. But meanwhile I am just grateful for the many friends, and sense of balance that Crossfit has given to me, and an overall level of fitness that may not be worthy of The Games, but is enough for me.

No comments: