Tuesday, October 6, 2009

PR

Although I’d been faithfully going to the gym for years before joining CFDC, I had never proactively tracked whatever progress, if any, I have ever made. Not being a serious athlete, tracking progress seemed kind of like a vanity pursuit.


I held onto this mindset for a long time, even after joining CFDC. For many months, I didn’t even post my stats on the CFDC blog – posting my embarrassing results for everyone to see just seemed like an extra helping of humiliation.

Then, one night Sam gave the 7PM class a lecture about goal setting. The lecture followed a WOD that I cannot remember other than it was particularly hellish and I had been unable to finish it. In my demoralized state, Sam’s words became hyper-motivating.

Basically, he told us how we needed to use the experience of each WOD as a building block for measuring our individual progress – regardless of the starting point.

Sam added that we needed to post our stats to the blog after every workout, and to know what our personal records (PRs) are for every lift and WOD. As a coach, he promised to help us achieve our goals, but that we needed to track that progress on our own…and, he asked, if we weren’t tracking our own progress or setting specific goals, what were we doing at CFDC? Good question.

After that, I started posting my results to the CFDC blog every day…no matter how unremarkable they were. I also started to use this blog as kind of a WOD diary.

There are some athletes at CFDC that seem to PR (PR’ing is a verb at CFDC) whenever they step into the box. They can’t help themselves from PR’ing.

I am not one of them.

But a few months ago, I attended an Olympic lifting seminar during a Sunday open gym session. Spencer had us work on overhead squats – which I had never done before. At first, just holding the bar over my head in the squat position was hard to do…but by the end of the session, I had become comfortable with the movement and had been able to add 20lbs to the bar. That was my PR that day. 65lbs.

Last night, we did overhead squats again.

Now, I don’t know why but whenever it comes to these lifts and WODs, I have a bad habit of focusing on bumper colors. Green (10lbs) and black (15lbs) are safe. Yellow (25lbs) might be OK. Blue (35lbs) and red (45lbs) are insane. Illogically, this goes for all exercises…no matter what I may have PR’ed in the past. It’s like I am totally discriminating against myself "on the basis of color".

So I decided to go for the yellow (“might be OK”) bumpers…which would be a 95lbs-overhead squat, and a big PR for me.

Unfortunately…or as it turned out, fortunately, I was sharing a bar with a great group of guys who were seemingly color blind.

We blasted through the green plates, and then the black ones. Next we started mixing up the bumpers with some metal 5lbs plates. Then came the yellow ones.

I achieved my goal with the yellow bumpers: 95lbs overhead squat. PR. Mission accomplished.

But while I was busy patting myself on the back, the guys had set two blue plates onto the bar. 115lbs.

The guys went through their sets while I started looking for my keys and a good reason to go home early.

When it was my turn at the bar, I was able to get the weight over my head, but I was really nervous about lowering into the squat. I lowered myself a few inches and started to freak out. I decided to return the bar to the rack to avoid having to dump it.

Just as I set the bar down, Neal suggested that I take the squat down as low as I could and then bail out if I got stuck.

This comment represents another mindset change from my previous gym life. It’s OK to bail on a lift? Just drop a loaded bar in the middle of the gym? No one does that at 24 Hour Fitness.

But this is CFDC. And Neal’s suggestion made a lot of sense…there was no reason to freak out about bailing out if I had to…

Without that cautionary hesitance to avoid dropping the bar at all costs, I tried again. And managed to do 3 not-at-all-perfect overhead squats with a 115lbs bar – each one progressively lower at that bottom of the squat. PR.

4 comments:

Purplejonquil said...

Awesome post and awesome PR, Howard! I'm so happy for you!!! That is a lot of freaking weight, especially to hold overhead and squat down with THREE times! Wow! I want whatever you've been having because lately, I have just not been motivated or even interested in going to the box. Saturday and Sunday were rest days, but now I'm taking unscheduled ones (yesterday and today) because "my head hurts" or "I'm tired." Definitely in a funk, and I'm not sure why. I'm making myself go tomorrow whether I feel like it or not, but I don't know if my heart will be in it. Hope you PR again tonight with jerks!

Howard Jackson said...

I was wondering where you've been. I've always admired the intensity that you bring to a WOD. I can never seem to find that kind of energy, even on my best days. But I am sure that it takes a toll as well, especially now that you have work and school going on. Don't push yourself so hard that you burn out, but at the same time, you gotta come back! Balance and moderation!

It seems like there is a new, smaller crew attending the evening classes now (or the classes may just be distributed better with the additional 6:30 class)...and with Tyler, Chase and Neal adding their own coaching methods to the mix, it kind of feels like a whole new box lately.

Sam explained last night that they have changed up the program for October -- sounds like we are going to be doing a heavy lift/met con combination for a while. Sam asked us all to commit to attending Mon-Wed/Fri, Sat (Thursdays and Sundays will be open gym/technique).

So there are a lot of changes going on -- come on back!

Purplejonquil said...

Thanks, Howard, but lately, I haven't been able to find even the energy or motivation to go workout. I appreciate your encouragment, though! Haha, yes, balance and motivation. :)

I agree--the classes have a different feel to them, as does the coaching, and I think that's part of what has been bothering (maybe not the right word) me lately. I find myself wishing the "old" people were going to the box like old times last spring and summer. I should be happy that so many new faces have been appearing, but I still miss the good ol' days. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'm coming back tonight, and thank you for the heads-up about programming because I did notice on Monday how they'd added in an O-lift with a met-con. I'm really glad they've changed that, because when I worked out in Columbus, I noticed that Rogue Fitness had a very set structure--the warm-up was always group, followed by a skill (it was seated press and then 500m row time trials on the days I went), and finally a met-con (awful but so good both days!). I really really liked their class structure and hoped CFDC would follow suit someday, and it seems that they are in a way, which is cool. I feel bad/guilty for missing Monday and Tuesday, but I think those unscheduled rest days helped me mentally. I'm ready to get back to work! :) I'm glad that they've added another technique/open gym day to the week, as well. Cool! See you tonight, Howard.

Neal said...

Hell yeah! Next time you're puttin on the reds.