Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Family Business


And look, tell me you ain't did it, you ain't did it
And if you did, then that's family business...


I’ve spent some time lately talking to friends about Crossfit – some of these conversations were with actual Crossfitters, some were with people that were just humoring my tendency to ramble on [and on] about all things Crossfit.

And curiously, few to none of these conversations were about Fran PRs, box jumps or proper chalking technique. The conversations were really about community. And family.

I can’t say enough about the people that I have had the opportunity to get to know through Crossfit. Although we all come from different backgrounds, Crossfit really attracts a certain type of person that is impressively accomplished…or in my case, truly hopes to evolve in that direction. Through my Crossfit box I am constantly amazed and inspired by the people that I have come to know and what they are able to achieve in and out of the box – community volunteers, lawyers (lots of them),fashion designers, music artists…and most recently, a potential Olympian.

Indeed, being around these over-achievers can be very intimidating. But their passion for what they do is also contagious. I would never have stuck with Crossfit for so long if it was not for the passion of the coaches and the friends that I have met through CFDC. And I am serious about all of this being contagious -- it’s no coincidence that I have managed more than a few challenging situations and taken a few risks during the past 2+ years that I have been around these people…grad school and a recent career transition were definitely influenced by what I have learned [about myself] through my Crossfit experience.

However, just like any family…there will be fights, hurt feelings and disagreements… and occasionally a little drama and dysfunction.

But unlike your traditional, unnerving family reunion or awkward gathering in front of the fireplace, the genius of Crossfit is that once the WOD starts, it doesn’t really matter who is running next to you or who you’re sharing the bar with. In fact, once the WOD starts – there really isn’t much of an opportunity to think about anything else but the WOD.

A few of my good Crossfitting friends have recently questioned whether or not Crossfit was right for them. It wasn’t because they did not enjoy Crossfit or did not recognize the value of it. It was the other stuff. The family stuff.

Although I would miss-them-something-huge if they decided to “leave the nest”, I understand why they feel the way that they do. In such a large group of diverse, determined, intense people, it’s easy to feel marginalized and disenfranchised occasionally.

The Crossfit experience is intense. Everything is amplified – the music, the heat, the pace…there are many times that I have attempted to stumble back to my car in a post-WOD stupor, shirtless and covered with chalk totally oblivious to my general state of in-public wreckdom or even where I had left my car. And I think that it’s natural to establish a common bond with the people that go through this type of experience with you on a daily basis – even though outside of this intense environment, you may have totally opposite political views, cultural backgrounds, social values, etc.

I know that I have benefited from the generous encouragement of everyone at my box and the diverse backgrounds that they all have. And even though I may not be the typical jock/Prefontaine-quoting firebreather that is the Crossfit standard, I try not to let that prevent me from taking advantage of the opportunities that Crossfit has to offer. Instead of the politics and drama that can occasionally torture and divide us, I just try to enjoy the process and its results.

For better or worse, the family stuff is a big part of Crossfit…but just like 20 rounds of Cindy, you have to manage it and maintain your focus or you’re going to walk away very unhappy and perhaps cheat yourself out of a potentially rewarding experience.

No comments: